Accusations of sexual misconduct against a preacher led to his arrest and extradition to Russell County this week.
Christopher Bennett, 30, of Apt. Z6, 200 Franklin Road NE, Atlanta, was arrested Wednesday in the Atlanta area and charged with second-degree sodomy, said Russell County Sheriff's Lt. Heath Taylor. The charge stems from a Russell County High student's disclosure a few days after graduation that Bennett had inappropriately touched the then 14- or 15-year-old boy in 2004, the lieutenant said.
"In that disclosure, he stated that (Bennett) was befriending him, mentoring him, and that on a particular occasion in Christopher's apartment in Phenix City, that he sexually molested him," Taylor said.
Bennett is the president and CEO of Chris Bennett Ministries and presiding bishop of the Generation Impact Movement, according to kingdompeople.org. The Web site claims that Bennett travels across the country and world to preach about the word of God.
Bennett was held at the Fulton County Jail until Thursday, when he waived extradition and was taken to the Russell County Jail, where he is being held.
"It is my opinion that he befriends troubled teens and, at least on two occasions, has had sexual relations with them," Taylor said.
Bennett was charged with another sexual offense in College Park in 2006, Taylor said. He called the circumstances in both allegations, while unrelated, very similar.
"He did talk to us and he was somewhat cooperative," Taylor said. "Let's just say he's cooperative."
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
Archived News & OP EDs
- ► 2009 (46)
- ► 2008 (152)
- Pastor charged with sodomy
- Pastor Charged with Fraud
- Pastor goes to trial
- Pastor admits to molesting girls
- Pastor assaults church secretary
- Sex abuse reports exceed 260 per year
- Minister murdered by husband
- Minister charged with sexual abuse
- Pastoral couple claim persecution motivated crimin...
- Pastor convicted and sentenced: 20 years.
- Benny Hinn has YouTube remove videos that criticiz...
- Pastor sentenced to 10 years for child porn
- I Had Something to Say
- Ex-Christian finds community in Freethought
- Pastor charged with rape and more
- ▼ June (15)
- ► 2006 (169)
- ► 2005 (106)