A Nixa pastor has been charged with child abuse for allegedly striking a 16-year-old female relative.
Michael A. Vargo, 35, pastor of Calvary Bible Church in Nixa, faces a Class C felony of child abuse, filed by the Christian County prosecutor's office.
The felony complaint alleges Vargo "knowingly inflicted cruel and inhuman punishment" on the teen, yielding "several bruises."
The alleged abuse occurred last month at Vargo's home in Nixa, according to court records.
Christian County Sheriff's Department Det. Brad Cole wrote in his report that the teen called a hotline regarding the alleged abuse.
"Prior to the contact with (the teenager), I contacted school resource deputy Ken Lovell, who gave me a letter written by (the teenager) while at school asking for help from one of her teachers and telling of the abuse."
Cole wrote Vargo was charged and later posted a $7,500 bond. A court hearing is set for 9 a.m. July 25.
Vargo declined to comment on the charge Friday, citing advice from his attorneys.
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
Archived News & OP EDs
- ► 2009 (46)
- ► 2008 (152)
- Pastor and Christian radio personality arrested
- Exorcism ends in death
- Born again religion reporter loses faith
- Money for nothing -- checks for free
- Pastor arrested for sexual battery
- Youth pastor: sex charges
- Youth pastor arrested for rape
- Baptist leader charged with aiding and abetting pr...
- Ellen meets Paula -- tonight!
- God is Dead
- Murdering for God
- Christian terrorism?
- School Board to hear mother's request to ban books...
- Pastor strikes teen girl
- Pastor charged with sex crimes and child porn
- Pastor charged with groping
- Faith: is it red, white and blue?
- I have never been happier’ says the man who won go...
- ▼ July (18)
- ► 2006 (169)
- ► 2005 (106)