DENVER -- Among the items taken from a search of gunman Matthew Murray's home was a picture of former New Life pastor Ted Haggard, according to police documents released Wednesday.
Murray lived in the Englewood home in with his father, mother and brother. The family was very devout and the parents had home-schooled both children, neighbors said.
According to the police documents, officers confiscated a Beretta, ammunition, a pamphlet entitled "Fall of America," literature on Youth With A Mission, a Bible, a journal, a pistol, a homicide investigation manual, prescription pills, several hard drives, gun cases and boxes of ammunition.
In several online writings, posted weeks before the two deadly church shootings, Murray expressed his rage at organized religion and at Youth With A Mission, which had kicked him out of a missionary program for unspecified "health reasons."
Murray wrote that he would rain Columbine down on the Christian world. He came "armed to the teeth," as he promised, bringing an assault rifle, two handguns and 1,000 rounds of ammunition when he walked into New Life Church.
He also wrote that Haggard was his mother's favorite pastor and in a post about four hours before the shootings at New Life, he wrote that Christianity to him was "hate, abuse (sexual, physical, psychological, and emotional), hypocrisy, and lies."
Haggard is the former pastor at the New Life megachurch and was forced to step down last year after he admitted to "sexual immorality." A former male escort claimed that Haggard had paid him for sex and meth over the course of three years.
Nine people were shot in the two church shootings on Dec. 9; five at New Life Church in Colorado Springs and four at the Youth With a Mission training center in Arvada.
Stephanie Works and her sister Rachael Works were killed at New Life Church. Their father, David Works, churchgoer Judy Purcell and Larry Bourbannais were hurt.
In Arvada, missionaries Philip Crouse and Tiffany Johnson were killed. Johnson's boyfriend, Dan Grievenow, and Charles Blanch were injured.
- December 14, 2007: Friends Ink Their Bond, Legacy With Church Victims
- December 14, 2007: Police Say Gunman Didn't Send Hate Mail To YWAM
- December 13, 2007: Experts: Internet Gives Shooters A Venue For Legacies
- December 12, 2007: Gunman's Parents Meets With Victims' Family
- December 12, 2007: Ammo Shipped To P.O. Box Put Murray On Police Radar
- December 12, 2007: Memorial Service Held For Slain Missionaries
- December 12, 2007: Matthew Murray's Parents: 'We Are Lost In Grief'
- December 12, 2007: FBI Alerted To Web Postings Shortly Before Church Attack
- December 11, 2007: Coroner: Gunman Killed Himself
- December 11, 2007: Church Gunman Left Online Rant Between Shootings
- December 11, 2007: Gunman's Family Church To Hold Prayer Service
- December 11, 2007: New Life Cancels Performances Of Christmas Show
- December 10, 2007: Security Guard: 'God Guided Me And Protected Me'
- December 10, 2007: Police: Same Gunman Attacked Both Churches
- December 10, 2007: YWAM: Gunman Was Student At Arvada Center
- December 10, 2007: Victims Of Colorado's Church Shootings
- December 10, 2007: Timeline Of Church Shootings In Arvada, Colorado Springs
- December 10, 2007: Report: No General Alert Sent After Arvada Shootings
- December 9, 2007: Gunman Opens Fire At Missionary Center; 2 Killed, 2 Hurt
- December 9, 2007: 6 Shot At New Life Church; Gunman, 2 Churchgoers Dead
- Video: Memorial Held For Slain Sisters
- Read: Statement From Gunman's Parents
- Feeback Now: Tell Us What You Think
- Video: One Week Later
- Video: Church Leaders Try To Find Way To Move On
- Video: Gunman Said He Was Angry At Church
- Video: New Life Pastor Forgives Gunman
- Video: Shooter's Uncle Asks For Forgiveness
- Video: Police Link Two Shootings
- YWAM Statement: Matthew Murray Involved In Both Shootings
- Bios: The Victims
- Images: The Victims
- Timeline: How Shooting Unfolded
NEW LIFE CHURCH
- Images: Bullet Holes Reveal Shooter's Wrath
- Images: Shooting Scene
- Video: Security Guard A Reluctant Hero
- Video: Look Inside Bullet-Riddled Church
- Video: Shooting Victims Identified
- Video: Monday: Pastor Boyd Talks
- Video: Police: Tragedy Could Have Been Worse
- Video: Colorado Springs Police Provide Update
- Story: Guard Stayed Calm During Chaos
- Link: New Life Church
YOUTH WITH A MISSION