A federal judge has ordered a former Greenville minister to start making payments to the estate of a Florida woman years after he was convicted of stealing from her.
U.S. District Court Judge Malcolm Howard last month ordered the Rev. Jim Whittington, 64, to pay $5,500 a month. Whittington _ who had expensive high-speed boats and a Rolls-Royce _ owed wheelchair-bound Valeria Lust $848,532.
The minister, formerly of Greenville and now living in Atlanta, and four other people were convicted in 1992 of stealing nearly $900,000 from the woman while he was the on-air presence for Fountain of Life ministries.
Lust has died and the Oct. 13 said the payments would be made to her estate.
Prosecutors said the minister kept his luxury lifestyle after leaving prison in 1995 and in 10 years had repaid less than 2 percent of the money he owed. They said his ministry paid for a country club membership, cars and jewelry.
"It is extremely disappointing that he has chosen not to pay this restitution when he's spent so much money on himself," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Norman Acker.
In a telephone interview, Whittington denied the theft and said he was a target of prosecutors. He said he doesn't get a salary from his current ministry, World Deliverance Crusade.
"I didn't take that woman's money," Whittington said. "She gave it to the ministry."
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
Archived News & OP EDs
- ► 2009 (46)
- ► 2008 (152)
- ► 2007 (206)
- ► 2006 (169)
- Professor apologizes for e-mail
- Intelligent-design ruling could affect Ohio school...
- Do you believe in God?
- College course seeks to debunk intelligent design
- Penn Jillette - There Is No God
- Monsignor in Phoenix arrested on sex charges
- Police say youth pastor killed wife, buried her
- Writer maintains there's no 'God' in Constitution
- Saenz charged with assault, resisting arrest
- Pastor Arrested On Sexual Abuse Charges
- Atheist Veterans Liken God to an 'Imaginary Friend...
- Event to show support for atheists in military
- Robertson warns Pennsylvania voters of God's wrath...
- The Brontosaurus
- Army Chaplain Sentenced For Sodomizing Troops
- Police accuse pastor of selling house, too
- Medina pastor charged with rape
- Father tells court he trusted God to heal sick son...
- Religion Now Taught As Science In Kansas
- Former N.C. preacher ordered to pay Florida widow
- Purpose Disclaimer
- Ripon Pastor Secretly Sells Church
- Parishioner Sues Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church,...
- ▼ November (23)