BALTIMORE -- A Kansas church has been ordered to pay $3,150 for costs and fees associated with a summons and complaint filed by the father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by the extremist group.
Albert Snyder, of York, Pa., is suing the Rev. Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church after church members demonstrated at the funeral of Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, of Westminster, and posted pictures of the protest on their Web site.
Lance Snyder was killed in Iraq in March. Members of the Topeka church claim U.S. soldiers are killed as God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.
His father's federal lawsuit, filed June 5, alleges church members violated the family's right to privacy and defamed the Marine and his family at the funeral and on the church's Web site.
Phelps and the church refused to grant a waiver in the serving of summonses in connection with the federal lawsuit, making the church liable for those costs.
Court documents say the church has 30 days to make the payment to Snyder.
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
Archived News & OP EDs
- ► 2009 (46)
- ► 2008 (152)
- ► 2007 (206)
- God's Enemies Are More Honest Than His Friends
- Pastor charged with stealing
- Apocalypse threat tops this year's religion storie...
- Christian help for responding to atheists, evoluti...
- Papa Pilgrim pops a plea
- 10 myths -- and 10 truths -- about atheism
- Collegue of Ted Haggard admitts sexual misconduct
- Pastor charged with stealing Bibles and money
- Convert or die!
- Atheists coming out of the closet
- Pastor pleads not guilty to charge of operating a ...
- Westboro Church Must Pay Marine's Family
- Megachurch pastor confesses to being gay
- Clergy sex abuse widespread across every denominat...
- Fraud in the church
- Baptist leaders and clergy sex-abuse
- A pastor's anguished suicide
- Phelps family on Tyra
- Churches, Ministers scammed by Nigerians
- Supreme Court to decide if atheist groups can sue ...
- Back to Bible Boot Camp
- ▼ December (21)
- ► 2005 (106)